Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Culmination of Efforts.

This was from a previous Memorial Day
service. When it was sunny,
versus ours when it was rainy.

Last Monday, was Memorial Day. My spouse went to the Military cemetery to observe the ceremony that was taking place. I had planned to attend, but our own "troops" so to speak, were on their way over to our home. This was the day assigned to be work day in the yard, a mother's day present, if you will.

Number one son.
It was cool, drizzly, and overcast, perfect for weed pulling and planting. At least from my point of view. There had been some hemming and hawing about this request. Some, who shall remain nameless, even said they wished I would be satisfied by material gifts, instead of gestures.

I can hear my grandmother's voice in my head as I type. "The greatest gift is your time, the greater gift is being happy about giving it." My grandma always had a saying for everything. Which is not the point of this post, but still entertaining.

My spouse.
Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Time and tide wait for no man.
2. The rooster can crow all he wants, but its the hen that delivers the goods.
3. It is a great life, if you don't weaken. (She always added under her breath, "but I've weakened.)
4. Wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Tomato bed number three.
5. Patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace, and Grace is a little girl that will not wash her face.

Back on track:
My four grown children and our son and daughter-in-law were present. Together with my husband, they worked together, very cheerfully, the entire day. Chopping wood, planting grass seed, building planters, planting flowers and weeding.

On the break for lunch, as we gathered around the kitchen table, I was filled with contentment. The room could hardly contain the laughter and love which was abounding in our mud filled kitchen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments below. I want to know what you think!